Attention! Are you tired of dealing with annoying IPS glow on your precious display? Well, fear not! Help is on the way.
In this blog post, we’re going on a mission to demystify IPS glow and give you the solutions to get rid of it from your visual sanctuary.
As that soft glow comes from your screen, we’ll dive deep into this issue, exploring its origins and understanding how it affects your viewing experience.
We’ll carefully guide you through various solutions, showing you the way to fix the problem.
Below, we reveal the secrets to fixing IPS glow, giving you a crystal-clear and perfect screen for all your digital activities.
I guarantee, after reading this article, you will know everything related to this problem.
So, get ready for an exciting adventure with us, armed with knowledge and a strong determination to conquer the troublesome IPS glow.
Quick Steps for Reducing IPS Glow:
- Reduce the brightness level on your monitor.
- Adjust the contrast settings for better balance.
- Modify the viewing angle to minimize the effect.
- Consider using bias lighting to reduce eye strain.
If the above solutions can’t work for you, contact the manufacturer for further assistance.
What is IPS glow?
IPS glow has captured the interest of display enthusiasts. Imagine being immersed in a movie or game, only to be bothered by a faint glow.
Don’t worry, we’ll reveal the truth behind IPS glow.
If you want to fix IPS glow and enjoy a better visual experience, Keep reading.
Let’s dive into the causes of this common problem.
Related: The Secret of Fixing Backlight Bleeding: Unveiled 2023
What Are the Causes of IPS Glow?
There are several causes of IPS glow, some of them include:
- Panel Construction: Those little pixel pranksters can create unexpected glows.
- Viewing Angles: IPS glow loves to show off more from the sides. Sneaky, huh?
- Incorrect brightness and contrast settings: It’s like giving IPS glow a spotlight to shine.
- Backlight leakage: Uninvited guests make the glow party a bit too vibrant.
- Pressure on the display: A gentle poke can make IPS glow and put on a colorful show.
- Environmental lighting: Joining the glow fest, making it even harder to escape.
7 Ways to Reduce IPS Glow
I’ve got 7 amazing methods up my sleeve just for you!
From utilizing bias lighting to optimizing viewing angles and adjusting brightness, these techniques will help you conquer the irritating glow and enjoy a clearer, more immersive display.
1. Proper Ambient Lighting
This method is all about setting the right mood for your screen. You may know, having a well-lit room with diffused lighting can work wonders.
Avoid having direct light sources, like lamps or windows, right behind or beside your screen.
Instead, go for some ambient lighting placed strategically around the room.
It will not only reduce the IPS glow but also create a more comfortable viewing environment.
Now, let’s move on to method number two. Stay tuned, my friend, because we’ve got plenty more tricks up our sleeves!
2. Adjust the Viewing Angle
This one is all about finding that sweet spot where the IPS glow takes a backseat and your visuals shine like never before.
You may know, IPS panels are known for their wide viewing angles, but the glow can become more prominent when you’re not looking at the screen head-on.
So, here’s what you gotta do: position yourself directly in front of the screen, this ensures that you’re at eye level with it. This optimal viewing angle will help minimize the glow and give you a clearer, more enjoyable visual experience.
Interesting, I’ve got a bonus tip for you, my friend:
If you have a monitor with an adjustable stand, tilt it backward just a tad. This subtle adjustment can further reduce the IPS glow by altering the angle at which light reflects off the screen.
If the glow persists, fear not, dive into the third method.
3. Update Graphic Driver
This one is not a guaranteed method to solve the IPS glow on your monitor, but trying it can be worth it.
If you are a computer enthusiast, you may know that updating a graphic driver can kill a lot of problems on a PC.
To update a driver with third-party software, follow the below steps. Don’t worry about security, both of these apps, I mention below are 100% secure.
And mummy swear, I personally used this method tons of time, especially, when it comes to updating the graphic driver.
Update the Graphic Driver with Third Party Software:
Leap into the digital realm and download one of these power-packed third-party software tools – “Driver Booster” or “Driver Easy.” They’ve got the magic touch when it comes to updating drivers.
Unleash the power of the software by opening it up and diving into the onscreen instructions.
Follow their lead, my friend, as they guide you through the process with finesse. It’s like having a personal pit crew for your PC, ensuring a seamless update experience.
Once the update process is complete and your driver has been transformed into its latest and greatest version, it’s time to give your PC a little breather. Restart it, and let it soak in the driver’s goodness.
4. Decrease Screen Brightness
You may know that higher screen brightness can cause IPS to glow. Reducing it can help to solve this issue.
To decrease monitor brightness follow the below steps:
Step 1:- Locate the monitor’s built-in settings
Step 2:- Access the OSD menu
Step 3:- Find the brightness adjustment, it may be labeled as “Brightness,” “Backlight,” or “Luminance.”
Step 4:– Decrease the brightness level, start by reducing it to around 50% of its maximum value, and assess the impact on IPS glow.
Step 5:- If the issue persists, continue decreasing the brightness until a satisfactory level is achieved.
Note:- Keep in mind that reducing the brightness excessively might adversely affect overall image quality.
Step 6:- After adjusting the brightness, examine the screen for any noticeable reduction in IPS glow.
Also Read: The Top Techniques for Reducing Input Lag In 2023
5. Reduce IPS Glow with Microfiber Cloth
Microfiber cloths are known for their ability to effectively remove smudges, dust, and fingerprints without scratching or damaging the display.
It can be an effective solution to minimize IPS glow. This method aims to reduce the glow by gently cleaning the screen.
Follow the steps below to ensure proper execution:
- Choose a high-quality microfiber cloth specifically designed for cleaning electronic screens.
- Next, turn off the monitor to prevent any accidental changes to the settings or potential damage to the screen.
- Examine the microfiber cloth for any particles or debris that might have accumulated on its surface.
- Start by lightly wiping the screen with this, use smooth, circular motions, and apply gentle pressure to remove any dust or smudges. Avoid using excessive force or pressing too hard on the screen, as this can cause damage.
- Gently wipe these areas where the IPS glow is most prominent in a circular or back-and-forth motion, using a bit more pressure if needed.
- If the IPS glow persists after the initial wipe, repeat the process to ensure a thorough cleaning.
- Once you have completed the cleaning process, power on the monitor and observe the screen for any changes in the IPS glow.
- It is advisable to view dark or black content to better assess the improvement.
6. Set the Display A Bit Further
Adjusting the display positioning by setting it a bit further away can help alleviate IPS glow. It reduces the impact of IPS glow by altering the viewing distance.
Follow the steps below to effectively implement this approach:
Step 1: Take a moment to evaluate the current placement of your monitor. Consider factors such as the distance between your eyes and the screen, the angle at which you view the monitor, and the level of ambient lighting in the room.
Step 2: Research suggests that positioning your monitor at an appropriate viewing distance can help minimize IPS glow. As a general guideline, aim for a distance that allows you to comfortably view the screen without having to strain your eyes or lean too close.
Step 3: Around arm’s length (approximately 20-30 inches or 50-75 centimeters) is often recommended, but you may need to adjust based on personal preference and monitor size.
Step 4: Reorganize your workspace to accommodate the new monitor position. Clear any obstructions or clutter that may hinder the adjustment process.
Step 5: Shift the monitor to the desired distance, making sure it is parallel to your line of sight.
Step 6: Once you have positioned the monitor at the new distance, observe any changes in the IPS glow.
Step 7: Monitor positioning can be subjective, and what works for one person may not work for another. Experiment with small changes until you find the most comfortable and visually pleasing setup.
7. Loosen the Panel Frame Construction
The last method in our list is loosening the outer panel frame. Beware, this requires finesse and caution.
Follow the steps to reduce IPS glow:
- If you lack confidence in handling the panel frame, it’s advisable to consult a TV repair expert.
- Delicately disassemble the outer frame, treating it as a puzzle waiting to be solved.
- Carefully align and secure the inner panel frame within the monitor’s outer frame.
- Properly close the monitor, ensuring a snug fit.
- Power on the monitor and evaluate if the IPS glow has diminished, especially in dark scenes.
- Avoid applying pressure to the delicate inner panel to prevent worsening the issue.
How IPS Glow Impacts Your Display Quality
If you are reading this blog post you may know that IPS glow occurs when light leaks through the panel, particularly in darker scenes or when viewing the display from an angle.
This luminous presence can undermine the overall quality of your visual experience, affecting contrast, black levels, and color accuracy.
IPS glow has the power to diminish the depth and richness of blacks, leading to compromised contrast and reduced detail in darker areas of the screen.
It casts an unwanted veil, obscuring the intended visual impact and robbing you of a truly captivating display.
The glow’s presence can subtly distort color reproduction, making hues appear less accurate and introducing a slight haze to the overall image.
This interference can be particularly noticeable when viewing content that relies on precise color representation, such as photo editing or graphic design work.
The viewing angle, often celebrated as a strength of IPS panels, paradoxically becomes a gateway for IPS glow to seize control.
As you deviate from the optimal viewing position, the glow intensifies, affecting the uniformity and consistency of the display.
IPS glow’s impact extends beyond visual aesthetics, infiltrating your immersion and overall enjoyment.
It can disrupt the seamless fusion between you and the content you engage with, preventing you from fully immersing yourself in the narrative, the action, or the beauty of what’s on your screen.
What Are The Importance of Addressing IPS Glow?
There are several importance of addressing IPS glow. Some of them include:
- You regain control over the true potential of your display.
- You can reclaim the depth and richness of blacks, enhancing contrast and enabling your display to showcase the subtlest gradations of light and shadow.
- Also, you restore the integrity of color reproduction, ensuring that hues are rendered accurately and faithfully.
- You can enjoy a wider range of comfortable viewing positions without sacrificing image quality.
- It can enhance your overall enjoyment and satisfaction, allowing you to engage with content without distractions.
IPS glow Vs backlight bleeding
IPS glow is a faint halo or glow along the edges of the screen, primarily seen in darker scenes or wider viewing angles on IPS panels.
It slightly affects contrast and color accuracy but is limited to specific areas.
Backlight bleeding, on the other hand, is uneven illumination and bright patches that seep from the edges of the display, most noticeable in dark environments. It compromises image uniformity and black levels.
IPS glow is inherent to IPS panels, while backlight bleeding stems from manufacturing imperfections.
Remedies include adjusting settings and optimizing viewing angles, but complete elimination may not be possible due to display technology constraints.
Common Scenarios Where IPS Glow is More Noticeable
Here are some common scenarios where IPS glow is more noticeable:
1. Dark content: The mischievous IPS glow tends to reveal its presence most prominently when you immerse yourself in dark content.
2. Low ambient light: When the ambient lighting in your environment is dim, the sly IPS glow gains the upper hand. With less external light to compete against, the glow emanating from the edges of your screen becomes more apparent.
3. Dark or Low-Light Environments: In environments with reduced lighting, such as a dimly lit room or a nighttime setting, IPS glow can seize the opportunity to make its presence felt.
4. High Brightness Settings: Believe it or not, even higher brightness settings can inadvertently amplify the visibility of IPS glow.
5. Large Screen Sizes: IPS glow can become more pronounced on larger screens, commanding attention as it extends across a wider expanse.
Tips for Display Quality
Here are some additional tips for displaying your quality, which helps to provide an immersive viewing experience.
1. Calibrate Your Monitor: Ensure accurate color representation and optimal brightness by calibrating your monitor using calibration tools or built-in settings.
2. Adjust the Viewing Distance: Position yourself at an appropriate distance from the screen to avoid eye strain and maintain optimal clarity and focus.
3. Use High-Quality Cables: Invest in high-quality cables, such as HDMI or DisplayPort, to ensure reliable data transmission and minimize signal degradation.
4. Update Graphics Drivers: Regularly update your graphics drivers to leverage the latest optimizations, bug fixes, and compatibility improvements for your display.
5. Optimize Display Resolution: Set your display resolution to its native or recommended setting to maximize image sharpness and clarity.
6. Reduce Screen Reflections: Minimize ambient light sources and adjust the screen position to reduce glare and reflections, enhancing visibility and color accuracy.
7. Maintain Proper Refresh Rate: Set your display’s refresh rate to match the content you’re viewing to prevent motion blur and ensure smooth, fluid visuals.
8. Clean the Screen: Regularly clean your screen using a soft, lint-free cloth and appropriate cleaning solutions to remove smudges, dust, and fingerprints that can impact image quality.
IPS Glow – FAQs?
Q1: Is IPS glow a defect or a common occurrence?
IPS glow is not a defect but rather a characteristic of IPS panels. It is a normal phenomenon and is present to some degree in most IPS displays.
The severity and visibility of IPS glow can vary between individual monitors.
Q2: Can IPS glow be completely eliminated?
Complete elimination of IPS glow is challenging since it is inherent to the nature of IPS technology.
However, certain measures like adjusting brightness settings, optimizing viewing angles, and using appropriate ambient lighting can help minimize its impact.
Q3: How does IPS glow affect the viewing experience?
IPS glow can slightly diminish contrast and color accuracy in specific areas of the screen. It’s crucial to note that its impact may vary depending on individual displays and usage conditions.
It is recommended to assess its visibility in the context of your specific needs and preferences.
Q4: Is IPS glow covered under warranty?
IPS glow is generally not considered a defect or covered under warranty, as it is a common characteristic of IPS panels.
If you believe that the glow on your monitor is excessive or abnormal, it is recommended to consult the manufacturer or retailer for further assistance.
Q5: Can IPS glow worsen over time?
IPS glow itself does not worsen over time. If there are any underlying issues with the display panel, such as aging or manufacturing defects, those issues can manifest as more noticeable or severe IPS glow.
IPS glow – Conclusion
I hope you enjoyed this blog post and learn some extra related to IPS glow.
This comprehensive guide has provided valuable insights and solutions to tackle IPS glow effectively. By reducing brightness, adjusting contrast settings, modifying viewing angles, considering bias lighting, updating graphic drivers, and decreasing screen brightness, you have a range of actionable steps to fix IPS glow.
IPS glow can negatively impact the overall display quality by compromising contrast, black levels, and color accuracy. It can distort colors and hinder immersion, diminishing the intended visual impact.
To enhance display quality further, you are encouraged to calibrate your monitor, adjust viewing distance, use high-quality cables, optimize display resolution, maintain proper refresh rate, and regularly clean your screen.
By implementing the outlined solutions and tips, you can bid farewell to the annoying IPS glow and enjoy a clearer, more immersive visual experience. If you have any queries, leave them in the comment section below.